First, I wanted to wish you all a belated Happy New Year.
Last year, we rallied our entire organization around 2018 being the Year of Music, and it really was. I truly believe 2019 is going to be the best year yet for us at YouTube Music - and for all of us in music - as we keep building towards becoming one of the top sources of revenue for the industry.
The more we work together, the faster this will happen and I figured sharing what is top of mind for us is a great way to start.
- Keep our promise to help the industry see a clear return when they invest time and resources in our products.
- Continue to invest in our YouTube Music family of artists and help them reach greater heights.
- Grow our YouTube Music family of artists; new names and faces we’ll plaster throughout our offices and put our whole muscle into breaking.
- Become the easiest music platform to engage and work with.
- Grow our paid subscriptions worldwide.
- Champion transparency in the industry.
- Liberate artists, songwriters, labels and publishers by innovating with direct-to-consumer and alternative monetization products.
- Remind the world that inclusivity and diversity is our competitive advantage.
- Keep listening to artists who take risks and push boundaries, like Maggie Rogers, Davido, and Billie Eilish. And play them louder.
- Love the ones that love you back. Send handwritten notes to Camila, Christian Nodal, Jesse & Joy, and Banda MS, artists who I had the privilege of seeing perform live when I recently visited Mexico city.
- See the big picture. Stop stressing my daughter out about her college applications.
- Work smarter, not harder and continue to get out and meet people face-to-face. Meet with Neha Kakkar, Kumar Sanu, and Alka Yagnik when I visit our offices in India this year. These three incredible artists recently topped our YouTube Top Artist charts and amassed close to 3 billion views in January.
With Love and Respect,
Lyor and the YouTube Music family.
Tracy Chapman - Talkin’ Bout A Revolution